Big Local South Bermondsey
St Saviour’s is the locally trusted organisation for ‘Big Local South Bermondsey’ (BLSB) a programme which is investing £1m of Big Lottery funds in the South Bermondsey area between 2012 and 2022.
Run by local people, for local people, the aim of the national Local Trust programme is to inspire and motivate residents to get involved and lead change in their communities. In South Bermondsey the 10 year plan is based on priorities set by residents across 6 local housing estates. These are as follows:
- Improving how green and open space is used on and around the estates to increase a sense of community ownership
- Improving community participation by older people, including opportunities for young and old to work together.
- Encouraging young people to become actively involved in their area and develop skills for the future
BLSB also opened up an enterprise and employment hub in ‘The Blue Market’, Bermondsey, in May 2017. The Big Local Works’ project is supporting local entrepreneurs to go on to further training, employment or self employment.
United St Saviour’s is proud to support both projects, holding the Local Trust funds on behalf of the Big Local South Bermondsey Partnership, and the lease of the Big Local Works hub in 4 Market Place.
For more information, contact
Dora Dixon Fyle, Big Local South Bermondsey Community Engagement Worker: Dora@biglocalworks.org.uk
Loedwijk ‘Luds’ van den Belt, Big Local Works Enterprise & Employment Hub: Luds@biglocalworks.org.uk
United St Saviour’s is a founder member of Southwark Giving. Currently hosted by Community Southwark, Southwark Giving is a placed-based giving scheme being set up to find new ways to address hidden, unmet and emerging local community needs. It will do this by harnessing the potential of the community, corporate and voluntary sector, and by drawing in additional investment to tackle local challenges.
Southwark Giving will enable anyone to give time, skills and/or money in collaboration with others to help make a difference to people’s lives.
It’s mission is to unite Southwark to tackle local disadvantage. It will do this by:
- Working in partnership with different sectors to invest in effective solutions for local needs
- Creating opportunities for everyone to give what they can; time, skills and/or money
- Raising awareness about local needs to bring the community together
Partly funded by United St Saviour’s, an important piece of research was commissioned in 2016 to form the basis for the Southwark Giving programme: A Tale of Two Southwarks.
For more information visit the Southwark Giving website. http://southwarkgiving.org