heading

Our history

The running of United St Saviour’s Charity was previously part of the work undertaken by the ancient governing body known as the Corporation of Wardens of the Parish of St Saviour’s.  Our roots actually go back to 1449, and probably earlier, where records show that King Henry VI granted certain rights to the wardens of the Guild of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. During the English Reformation under Henry VIII, the Corporation of Wardens was set up by Act of Parliament in 1541  to manage parish affairs and local charities for the people of north Southwark.

Today the Charity has three main functions: the management of our Almshouses to provide sheltered housing, the provision of grants and support to organisations through our Community Investment programmes, and the management of investments and historic properties in Southwark that produce the income to fund our charitable aims.

medieval_jug

A beer flagon dated c.1300, found
in the Wheatsheaf, 6 Stoney Street.

'Founded during the reign of Henry VI as the Guild of the Fraternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, it was later incorporated under Henry VIII to manage parish affairs and local charities for the people of north Southwark.'