St Saviour’s is the locally trusted organisation for ‘Big Local South Bermondsey’ (BLSB) a programme which is investing £1m of Big Lottery funds in the South Bermondsey area between 2012 and 2022.
Run by local people, for local people, the aim of the national Local Trust programme is to inspire and motivate residents to get involved and lead change in their communities. In South Bermondsey the 10 year plan is based on priorities set by residents across 6 local housing estates. These are as follows:
- Improving how green and open space is used on and around the estates to increase a sense of community ownership
- Improving community participation by older people, including opportunities for young and old to work together.
- Encouraging young people to become actively involved in their area and develop skills for the future
BLSB also opened up an enterprise and employment hub in ‘The Blue Market’, Bermondsey, in May 2017. The Big Local Works’ project currently provides:
- welfare and benefits support
- employability support and training
- social enterprise support
- employment support to local people
United St Saviour’s is proud to support both projects, holding the Local Trust funds on behalf of the Big Local South Bermondsey Partnership, and the lease of the Big Local Works hub in 4 Market Place.
For more information, contact:
Dora Dixon Fyle, Big Local South Bermondsey Community Engagement Worker: Dora@biglocalworks.org.uk
Loedwijk ‘Luds’ van den Belt, Big Local Works Enterprise & Employment Hub: Luds@biglocalworks.org.uk